Miracle #36 - Trust Would Settle Every Problem Now

 

Photo Credit: vanveenjf


This week the Holy Spirit blessed me in spades.

The funny thing is, it didn't start out looking like a blessing. In fact, the ego wanted me to think it was a curse - but I wasn't fooled! 

My husband and I had traveled to the Washington DC area from Houston, Texas. We were scheduled to return home on the same plane, although he had purchased a ticket and I was flying standby. 

When we got to the airport we saw that the flight was full and it was unlikely that I would get on. I started searching for alternatives, and saw that ALL of the flights from DC to Houston were full that day. 

I tried to solve the problem by looking up other cities into which I might fly - any place where I had a friend or relative that could put me up for the night. All of those flights were full too! 

My husband got on his plane without me and I started to feel desperate. 

I asked the Holy Spirit for help. To guide me. To give me peace. To show me the way. I put the entire problem into God's hands and waited patiently to see what would happen.

My husband's plane sat on the tarmac for an hour. There was bad weather in Houston and the pilot decided to take an indirect route which required more fuel. The extra fuel made the plane heavier and overweight. The cabin crew asked for volunteers to get off and offered compensation. 

My husband called me and asked what to do. I replied without hesitation: Get off!

My husband got off the plane and was rescheduled for a flight the next day. He was given a voucher for a night at the 4-star Hyatt Regency hotel with free shuttle service from the airport. He was given a voucher for $40 worth of food. And he was given a United Airlines voucher worth $1800 in future flights! 

The next day we went back to the airport and my husband got on his flight without me again. Once again the flight was full. I was number 3 on the standby list. The United agent called the first standby passenger, who was a no-show. She called the second standby passenger, who was also a no-show. 

She called me and I got on the plane!

My husband did miss a day of work, but we had a nice dinner date and a good night's rest at the hotel. It turned out that the bad weather in Houston prevented a lot of other employees from his office getting back to work on time, so no harm done. 

And now, we are planning out next family vacation with those free United flights! 

Thank You, Holy Spirit

When this Power has once been experienced, it is impossible to trust one's own petty strength again. Who would attempt to fly with the tiny wings of a sparrow when the mighty power of an eagle has been given him? And who would place his faith in the shabby offerings of the ego when the gifts of God are laid before him? -- ACIM Manual for Teachers 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miracle #3 - The End of Suffering

Miracle #23 - God Is The Strength In Which I Trust