Miracle #26 - I Am Sustained By The Love Of God

 


I recently began working at a local farm one day a week. My daughter works there and I ride in with her. Our boss had been assigning us to work together, so that she could show me how to do things.

However, last week she had a morning dental appointment, so she just dropped me off at 8:30 am. I expected her to come back to work right after her appointment, and I left my lunch box in her car. 

When she reported for duty, she was assigned to work at a different location.

Not only was I missing my lunch, but my bottled water and my phone charger.

I was dropped off in a field in the middle of nowhere, with instructions for using the tractor to plant sorghum seed, and left alone!

I started work, hoping that I would finish soon and could call for pick-up.

After a few hours I looked at my cell phone and realized that my battery was extremely low. I sent my daughter a quick text message letting her know my location, and then my phone died!

There I was, with no way to contact anyone in an emergency.  

I had no idea how to get home, and once my phone died, I didn't even know the time. 

I instantly realized that I had a choice to think with the ego - and allow myself to feel anxious and panicky about all the things that could go wrong - or to think with my right mind and just surrender to circumstances.

In the past I would have gotten really uptight about this situation.

I would have felt stressed and angry without even realizing that I had choice. Thanks to A Course in Miracles, that didn't happen. 

I thought about how we so readily believe that food and water are necessary, when the truth is that God is our Source.

I felt a bit disconcerted not knowing how long I had been working or when the work day would end, but time isn't even real.

At one point the seeding attachment seemed stuck, and I felt a bit nervous that I was on my own, but then I remembered that we are never really alone, and it unstuck itself. 

I made the best of the situation that hadn't gone the way I expected by driving and singing to myself. I sang "Open The Eyes of My Heart Lord" and "Door of My Heart" over and over. When I got tired of that, I chanted a Sikh verse that I had learned: 

God and Me

Me and God

Are One

I meditated and watched my thoughts, to see what was happening inside of my mind. In other words, I pretty much just communed with God all day. 

Finally, just after 5:00 pm (as I later learned), my daughter came to my rescue.

She pulled into the field waving and smiling, my lunchbox dangling from her hand!

It was all good, and I came home grateful for my daughter, my day with God, and the understanding that I really don't need anything in this illusory world. 

Thank you, Holy Spirit

Put not your faith in illusions. They will fail you. Put all your faith in the Love of God within you; eternal, changeless and forever unfailing. This is the answer to whatever confronts you today. - ACIM Lesson 50

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miracle #3 - The End of Suffering

Miracle #23 - God Is The Strength In Which I Trust