Miracle #43 - There Are No Private Thoughts

 

Photo Credit: Jamie Taylor

I used to sell mostly books in my eBay store, most of which came from thrift shops.

Once I was shopping at a thrift store in Virginia and a man standing near me started to bang a book against the wall. He looked like he might be intellectually disabled - if a person can look such a way.

I just kept on browsing.

But soon the banging started to irritate me, and these thoughts ran through my mind:

  • Why is he banging that book?

  • Why does he have to do that?

  • Why doesn’t he stop that?

I didn’t make a sound or look in his direction, but suddenly he stopped banging the book, looked straight at me and said:

“I do this because it helps me to think more clearly.”

Then he resumed banging his book as if nothing had happened. As if he hadn’t just read my mind!

I know that A Course in Miracles says that all minds are joined, but until that moment, I guess I didn’t honestly believe it.

My spiritual practice has been a constant effort to be aware of my thoughts, especially the judgmental ones, and to correct them by asking the Holy Spirit to help me to see things differently.

The Holy Spirit has obliged, and nowadays my mind is mostly filled with a sense of spaciousness, and occasionally, music.

Thank You, Holy Spirit

For in private thoughts, known only to yourself, you think you find a way to keep what you would have alone, and share what you would share. And then you wonder why it is that you are not in full communication with those around you, and with God Who surrounds all of you together. ACIM text, Chapter 15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miracle #3 - The End of Suffering

Miracle #23 - God Is The Strength In Which I Trust