Miracle #21 - God's Will For Me Is Perfect Happiness

 


I took my dog, Ziggy, to the veterinarian yesterday for a check-up.

As soon as we pulled into the office parking lot, she began to tremble and shake.

She remembers the vet's office as a scary and painful place, where she has had shots and operations. We were a little early, so I decided to walk her around outside a bit. Ziggy strained against the leash and tried to run away. In her anxiety and fear of the future, she was seeking escape.

The funny thing was, I knew that nothing bad was going to happen to her. I knew that the doctor was going to to help and not hurt her.

As an observer apart from the problem, it was clear to me that everything was going to be okay, and Ziggy was cared for and loved. 

As I watched this scene play out in front of me, I thought about how we, as humans, behave the same way in our lives. We believe that we know what will happen in the future based on past experiences. We think that if we worry or feel anxious or find a way to avoid things that are about to happen, we can somehow prevent them. We too are driven by fear. 

I thought about how God loves us and doesn't want anything bad to happen to us. Just as I love Ziggy and don't want anything bad to happen to her. I thought about how we don't really know what anything is for. Just as Ziggy didn't understand the purpose of her visit to the doctor. I thought about how God's will for us is perfect happiness, just as that is my desire for my dog. 

We went into the vet's office and waited for our appointment. Ziggy continued to tremble on my lap. Then exam time came. Ziggy stood on the scale and got weighed. She was looked over by the vet who called her "sweetie". The vet and I talked and we left. There were no needles or painful experiences. We got some meds and tasty treats. It was ALL GOOD. Just as our lives are all good, even when we lack the capacity to recognize it. 

Just as Ziggy created unnecessary suffering for herself by panicking about her visit to the vet, we often create unnecessary suffering for ourselves - by thinking thoughts of the future or past, thoughts of pain or fear. When we stay focused on the present moment, there is only peace. When we are able to step away from the "problem" and see it from a distance, as I was able to observe what was happening with Ziggy, there no longer IS a problem.

Our job is not to figure anything out. We are not here to solve any problems. We are here to accept things exactly as they are, to love what is, and to TRUST that God will provide what is best for us. 

My personal experience has been that when I cease resisting what is, accept everything and everyone with love, and go with the flow, my future actually changes. Instead of the negative experiences I might have anticipated based on the evidence in form, things turn out even better than what I may have chosen for myself. All I need to do - all anyone needs to do - is to relax.  Then, when you feel relaxed, whatever happens seems good, because you are so relaxed it doesn't matter. 

Thank you, Holy Spirit

Your present trust in Him is the defense that promises a future undisturbed, without a trace of sorrow, and with joy that constantly increases, as this life becomes a holy instant, set in time, but heeding only immortality.  - ACIM Lesson 135 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miracle #3 - The End of Suffering

Miracle #35 - Giving Up Attack Thoughts

Miracle #36 - Trust Would Settle Every Problem Now