Miracle #23 - God Is The Strength In Which I Trust

 

Photo Credit: Anna Dziubinska

When I was younger my mind was frequently filled with so many concerns that I found it hard to keep track of simple things like my keys, my wallet, or my checkbook. 

On many occasions I was so preoccupied with thoughts that I locked myself out of my car.

I often misplaced important bills.

I had so much information clogging my mind, that I was unable to also focus on my surroundings.

I felt overwhelmed most the time. 

After many expensive lessons - some of which involved paying a locksmith to get me back into my car - I trained myself to be more conscientious with important things. I got a hook to always hang my keys on and designated a drawer for my checkbook. 

While this made some aspects of life easier, I still felt overwhelmed a lot. I didn't understand why at the time, but I now know that it was because I was trying to do everything alone.

By myself.

Without divine intervention.  

I didn't even KNOW that there was a benevolent, loving presence on which I could rely. 

Gradually, as a result of practicing the lessons in A Course in Miracles, I came to see that God was a real support to me in times of stress.

I finally understood that worrying about everything not only did not help me to stay on top of things, it actually made me LESS EFFECTIVE. 

I learned to ask for guidance every morning before starting my day, and in every situation about which I had doubt or uncertainty. And as I did this, life became easier. 

A Course in Miracles states that "once you accept His purpose as the only one that you would fulfill, there is nothing else the Holy Spirit will not arrange for you without your effort."

Recently, I was in a store shopping and suddenly realized that I had lost my cell phone.

An old sense of panic began to arise. I felt my chest constrict as I realized how dependent I had become on my phone. I use it as a flashlight, to tell time, search the internet, check email, and monitor activity in my Ebay store, in addition to texting and calling family and friends. 

Then I recalled my lesson for the day:  God is the strength in which I trust - not my cell phone!

I retraced my steps and looked for the phone at all the places I had stopped.

When I did not find it, I once again started to feel anxious. I stood in the middle of the store, closed my eyes and asked the Holy Spirit for guidance. I felt there was nothing left to do but go to the register and pay for my purchases.

I told the cashier that I had lost my cell phone while shopping, and she immediately pulled it out from behind the counter. Someone had found it, turned it in, and she had been waiting for me to claim it. 

The sense of relief I felt was undeniable.

Not only was I thrilled to get my phone back, but I was happy to remember that when I put my trust in God, there is never any need to worry about anything. 

Thank you, Holy Spirit

He will go before you making straight your path, and leaving in your way no stones to trip on, and no obstacles to bar your way. Nothing you need will be denied you. Not one seeming difficulty but will melt away before you reach it. - ACIM, Chapter 20, Entering the Ark

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miracle #3 - The End of Suffering