Miracle #18 - My Mother’s Day Miracle

 

Photo Credit: Rafael Lopes de Lima


I had another experience on Mother's Day this year that confirmed for me that Jesus is in charge of working things out for us here on this Earthly plane.

Also confirmed for me was that it is not my job to worry about how things happen or why they happen.

It is my job to be open to "going with the flow" and to "listen" for guidance from the Holy Spirit. 

As much as I would like to, I don't hear the actual voice of the Holy Spirit in my head. Rather, I "listen" by trying to be alert to what is happening around me, and accepting of whatever is showing up, even when it doesn't seem to make logical sense.

When I can remember to do that, things seem to go miraculously in my favor, or I seem to be in just the right time, at just the right place, to perform miracles.

On Sunday, May 8, 2016 my mother and I were in Baltimore, Maryland. We checked out of our hotel around noon and began the one-hour drive to Washington, D.C. My mom had a 4:00 p.m. train to catch at Union Station that would take her home.

Soon after we departed, my husband informed me that he was driving our daughter on his motorcycle to George Mason University in order to visit our son for the day.

My mom asked if we had time to swing by GMU, so that she could see her two grandchildren before boarding the train. I thought we did and asked her to plug the address for George Mason into my GPS. 

After about an hour, the GPS informed us that we had arrived at our destination.

However, we were not at the main GMU campus.

Instead, we had been directed to the GMU Antonin Scalia School of Law (yes, that acronym is ASSOL!) in Washington, D.C.

When I realized what had happened, I reprogrammed the GPS for George Mason in Virginia.  Shortly afterward I discovered we were NOT headed for the main GMU campus in Fairfax, but rather towards a satellite campus in Manassas. 

Suddenly I saw an exit for Fairfax, and took it in order to pull over and reset the GPS. 

As I silently wondered to myself why we were having all of these SNAFU’s (yes that is the acronym for Situation Normal - All Fucked Up), my husband called and told me that the battery on his motorcycle had died.

He wanted me to come give him a jump start with my car, and gave me his address to plug into my GPS.

It turned out that we were located just 5 minutes away from each other!

I rescued my husband and daughter, then went on to GMU to get my son so that we could all have lunch together.

After lunch, I returned to Washington, D.C. to put my mother on the train while my husband and daughter headed for home. By the time I waited to ensure that my mom was safely on board, then stopped off to buy myself a coffee, an hour and a half had passed. 

I imagined that my husband and daughter were already at the house and wondering what was taking me so long.

I headed towards the house and, after driving for about 40 minutes, I received another call from my husband and daughter asking where I was.

Once again, the motorcycle had a dead battery and I was only 5 minutes away!

I was able to give them a jump start and follow them to ensure they made it home. 

Some folks might just think this timing was a coincidence.

But I know for a fact that if this scenario had happened to me before I learned to practice the principles of A Course in Miracles, that I would have been frustrated and upset by these detours. I would have been sweating bullets that my mom would not make her train on time. I would have been anxious about things not going the way I had planned.

Simply put, in the old days, with my ego-dominated thought system, the day would have been ruined. 

Instead, because I was able to step back from my attachment to a specific outcome and just observe what was occurring, my trust in the Holy Spirit was reinforced as everything just seemed to work out smoothly and perfectly.

My mom made her train, my husband got rescued twice, and I had a lovely Mother's day! 

Thank you, Holy Spirit

When you have learned how to decide with God, all decisions become as easy and as right as breathing. There is no effort, and you will be led as gently as if you were being carried down a quiet path in summer.  - Text, Chapter 14, Section IV 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miracle #3 - The End of Suffering

Miracle #23 - God Is The Strength In Which I Trust