Miracle #5 - We Ask For Rest Today and Quietness Unshaken By The World's Appearances


Photo Credit: Theresa McGallicher
I had just returned from a one week retreat with the Teachers of God Foundation on a spiritual high.
Seven days at the beach in Saco, Maine surrounded by like-minded people with joyful music, fascinating speakers, and amazing workshops.
After a day to regroup here in Virginia, I met my husband and a friend for lunch at a restaurant.

As I drove back home I noticed a sheriff following me, so I checked my speedometer to make sure I was going the speed limit.

I decided to put the car on "cruise control" for the remainder of the drive, just to make sure that I did not go over.

He followed me for half an hour and finally turned off as I neared my neighborhood. 

Throughout the drive I was listening to A Course in Miracles on CD.  

The narrator read from Chapter 27, explaining that the outside world is an illusion which we have created with our guilt, and that when we heal the mind by realizing there is no separation, then the illusion appears differently to us. 

I stopped for gas, then only had a few blocks to get home.

Incredibly, I passed a second sheriff parked along the road, who pulled out behind me.

I checked my speedometer again and noticed that I was going a bit over the limit, so I slowed down, but after another block or two the officer pulled me over. 

He approached my car in a state of agitation, clearly annoyed at my disrespect for the law, and claimed that he had clocked me at 44 mph in a 25 mph zone.

He took my license and headed back to his vehicle to run my plates. 

In the past when this has happened, I would feel my heart race.

My anxiety level would peak and I would fret over the outcome.

This time, I decided that I would not let this incident disturb my peace of mind.

I sat calmly and peacefully, focused on my lesson of how everything we create is for our own good, so that we can learn to "choose again". 

When the officer returned to my window, he was laughing

He said I had received a citation every year for the past 3 years in a row and this would make the 4th.

He seemed to think it was some hilarious, cosmic joke that I regularly got caught going too fast once per year!

Honestly, he was so happy that it was as if he were a different person.

He told me to slow down and have a nice day, and I wished him the same.

As he drove off, I looked down at the "ticket" in my hand and found it was only a warning. 

I was left with the overall sensation that something weirdly supernatural had happened...

Thank you, Holy Spirit


The miracle returns the cause of fear to you who made it. But it also shows that, having no effects it is not cause, because the function of causation is to have effects. — ACIM Text, p. 595

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miracle #3 - The End of Suffering